My Wordy Blog: Desperately Seeking Shelly :: My Blog O'Deep Thoughts: A Change Will Do Me Good

Tuesday, October 23, 2007

this might be t.m.i. but...

look at the excitement here! maeve is totally calm, cool and collected... she is a sleepy little chick who hasn't made many peeps! *sigh...i'm in love. amelie is fascinated by baby sister and loves to pet her, talk about her body parts (she has a nose!) and give her toys to sleep with. so far so good but too soon to tell i think...

anywho, i know you've been dying to hear about it so here's the BIG story!

so, friday i felt pretty normal and by normal i mean: huge, exhausted, grumpy, and pregnant... but i was hoping that it was our last friday as a familiy of 3 so we went out to eat and did some shopping at the mall (and by shopping i mean visiting two stores because that's all i could take!). about 10:30 i laid down for bed and felt a contraction or two--which wasn't a big deal to me b/c i've had them on and off for weeks. i woke up at 12:30 and was still feeling contractions but they were mild enough that i fell asleep again so.... at 1:30 i woke up AGAIN and thought, wow, these are coming kinda close together--maybe i should time them? i never experienced this with amelie so i wasn't sure what to do...so i timed contractions for about an hour and they were coming every 4-6 minutes and lasting a long time (but surprisingly not very painful) so i called the doctor and said, "you'll probably just send me back home but i think i'm in labor." he told me to come on in since it was a 2nd baby and they come faster (praise the LORD!!).

steven's parents put the pedal to the metal and got here around 3:30 to watch amelie girl and we headed to the hospital. apparently saturday morning was a VERY popular time to have a baby b/c about 6 ladies, having their 2nd babies all got there at the same time, all of us in labor, one doctor on call....

that means i had to wait over 2 hours b/c of 2 emergency c -sections just to get checked from my doctor and to get the ok that i could stay (already 5 cent. w/o horrible pain which is good since i had to wait for the anest. to come).

so, epidurals make me happy--even though it's kind of a horrible process but by 5:30 i was totally comfy and watching contractions hop along on the monitor about every minute. i was still smiling, happy and comfortable until 8.5 cent (during this time i considered a bed-side blog but i wasn't smart enough to figure it out WHILE in labor haha). all of the sudden the pressure and pain hit me like a truck and i thought that i was probably going to die--couldn't believe i had put myself through this again! and was in horrible pain for about 2 hours (even though i was given MORE medicine) so the doctor decided i could just try to get the baby out! woo hoo!

unfortunately at this exact moment maeve decided to let her heart stop beating. i can't tell you how terrified i was--amelie's heart beat stopped about a million times during her labor but it always came back--maeve's didn't...

so, i started to push and on the second one the doctor was reaching for forceps since she was still heart-beat-free--at this point i was crying "i can't do this.." and i really didn't think i could--it was HORRIBLE. luckily God gave me some extra strength which when mingled with the terrible fear that your baby is going to die (the whole nicu team was waiting there watching me) she flew out in less then 5 minutes--and let out a lusty cry! yay! turns out little miss maeve likes to accessorize as much as her mama and sister--the cord was wrapped tightly around her neck......

the team looked at her quickly and she was totally fine and wriggling and pink on the warmer--i've never felt such relief in my life. being a mother is terrifying in general--but i've never felt fear like i did during those moments before and just after she was born! God is good--I am so thankful for my girl--my heart is too full to write about it.

someday i'll write about the reasons why i'm extra thankful for this particular little girl but i'm definately too hormonal at the moment--ha!

in other news--maeve is sleeping, eating and pooing like a champion! i, however, am still having horrible insomnia and think something is wrong with me! i didn't fall asleep until after 3:30 last night even though maeve was in a peaceful slumber since 7! urgh.

i love her. i'm happy--no, ecstatic and SO THANKFUL to God for the gift of motherhood.

7 comments:

Sheri said...

WOW!!! So glad she came out fast- sounds like it was just in time! I recently found out that Sammy's cord was around his neck too(I just sent for my Ob records to be sent to my new ob)...thats what made his late de- sats, but I never remember hearing that at the time....What an awsome God we have! I never felt fear like I have since Sammy's birth (during his birth - emergency c- section, after his birth with eating, breathing and surgiers...)- funny how children can make you nuts... But God is there through it all and how amazing that he brought Mauve to you safely!!!

What a praise!

SarahV said...

maeve is sleeping for six hours already?!?! praise the Lord!!! now you just have to join her :)

Emily said...

Wow! How totally terrifying, and wonderful all at once. How ironic that so many of you 2nd timers went into labor at once. At least you all weren't first timers with only one doc on call. :)
Love the picture too- I hope I look that good after laboring! :)

charmed1 said...

Hadlei slept through the nite from the second we got home. She is the best kid! You're lucky cuz most won't do that.

I was a bit scared when I had Hadlei because being 2 weeks late there was some meconium in my water. So the dr told me when it was time to push to wait for them to tell me when. Obviously he didn't know who he was talking to. Less than an hour later Hadlei was born and one of the nurses had to catch her. I wait for no one! :)

I'm glad that you are both safe,happy and healthy. She's a beautiful baby!

Shelly said...

jess-i'm with ya on not waiting to push--when amelie was born the nurse ran to find the doctor and i was alone in the room with steve and he was like, "i can see the head, maybe you should stop..." ha! i gave him a good scare that he might have to more actively participate!

Anonymous said...

hehe...your comment about Steve made me giggle...Praise the Lord for protecting you both. Labor is definitely scary! I had to have a c-section because Isabelle's heart rate was dropping! Glad you are all doing so well.

Anonymous said...

She is so wonderful! I am SO glad and thankful she was OK. I hope you are sleeping better, maybe at least some during the day to make up for it. REST as much as possible!